College-level, credit-bearing courses listed below from an accredited college taken within the 10 years prior to acceptance into the program. (Online courses will only be accepted for English and algebra or statistics.) Candidates must achieve a grade of C or higher in each prerequisite to qualify for acceptance. Non-credit courses do not apply.
Anatomy & Physiology I & II
Intermediate Algebra or Statistics
- Applications are accepted throughout the year, but classes begin in July.
- Every applicant must take the Pre-Entrance Examination which is nationally known as the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). Successfully passing this exam entitles an applicant to continue with the application process but does not guarantee acceptance into the program. For dates, times and other information, as well as the link to register, click here.
- Read carefully the Questions & Answers about TEAS.
- Read carefully the Are You Ready to Take the Pre-Entrance Exam?.
- After you are admitted into the school, BOCES will notify you of the date of registration.
The School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography at Western Suffolk BOCES reserves the right to deny admission based upon failure to complete admission requirements.
1. Satisfactory achievement on the Pre-Entrance Examination. These exams are scheduled from October to March of each year and are administered in BOCES at Wilson Tech’s Northport campus. Practice test and study guide are available to help you prepare for Test of Essential Academic Skills.
- To receive an invitation to apply, candidates must achieve above the 50th percentile in reading, math, English and science on the TEAS.
- If you have a current IEP and are requesting testing modifications, call (631) 261-3721.
2. Candidates must be a minimum of 17 years of age.
3. Official transcript indicating high school diploma or equivalency
4. Official college transcript
5. Three references from non-family members. Two must be work references; one must be a character reference.
6. Good physical and mental health.
7. Meet all technical standards.
8. Personal interview
Programs details and policies are described in full in the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Handbook. Read carefully.