- Applications are accepted throughout the year. Classes usually begin in September and March. The Pre-Entrance Packet provides the basic information you need to begin the application process.
- Every applicant must take the Pre-Entrance Examination which is nationally known as the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) given at Wilson Tech’s Northport campus several times each year. Successfully passing this exam entitles an applicant to continue with the application process but does not guarantee acceptance into the program. For dates, times and other information, as well as the link to register, click here.
- Read carefully the Questions & Answers about TEAS.
- Read carefully the “Are You Ready to Take the Pre-Entrance Exam?”.
- The School of Practical Nursing has substantial class work and homework that require students to be proficient readers with a wide vocabulary and competent math problem solvers. BOCES statistics indicate that the passing rate on the required Pre-Entrance Exam (TEAS) is higher for those who have solid math and reading skills. Only those who have recently completed an academic program with strong grades should consider proceeding directly to the Pre-Entrance Exam. All other prospective students should first take the Math & Reading Test scheduled several times each year and administered at either BOCES’ Wilson Tech’s Northport or Dix Hills campuses. Those who need to improve math and reading skills, should register for the Basic Skills
- After you are admitted into the school, BOCES will notify you of the date of registration.
The School of Practical Nursing at Western Suffolk BOCES reserves the right to deny admission based upon failure to complete admission requirements.
- Official transcript indicating high school diploma or equivalency
- Satisfactory achievement on the Pre-Entrance Examination. These exams are scheduled from October to March of each year and are administered in BOCES at Wilson Tech’s Northport campus. Practice test and study guide are available to help you prepare for Test of Essential Academic Skills.
- To receive an invitation to apply, candidates must achieve above the 50th percentile in reading, math, English and science on the TEAS.
- If you have a current IEP and are requesting testing modifications, call (631) 261-3721.
- Personal interview and writing sample.
- Proof of citizenship or legal residency.
- Meet all technical standards.
- Student Liability Insurance
Programs details and policies are described in full in the Practical Nursing Handbook. Read carefully.