How do I apply to Surgical Technology?
Applications are accepted throughout the year. The Surgical Technology program has substantial class work and homework that require students to be proficient readers with a wide vocabulary and competent math problem solvers.
BOCES statistics indicate that the passing rate on the required Pre-Entrance Exam is higher for those who have solid math and reading skills. Only those who have recently completed an academic program with strong grades should consider proceeding directly to the Pre-Entrance Exam. All other prospective students should first take the Math & Reading Test.
Both exams are scheduled several times each year and are administered at either BOCES’ Wilson Tech’s Northport or Dix Hills campuses. For dates, times and other information, as well as the link to register, click here.
Successfully passing the Pre-Entrance Exam entitles you to continue with the application process but does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
• Be a minimum of 17 years of age
• Be in good physical and mental health
• Have 20/20, 20/30 vision in both eyes with or without corrective lenses
• Have the ability to clearly hear a patient calling for assistance from a minimum of 10 feet away
• Have the ability to clearly communicate verbally to the perioperative patient
• Have the ability to stand for lengthy periods
• Have the ability to assist in transporting a patient of 150 lbs on/off a stretcher
• Have the ability to demonstrate basic computer, word processing and internet skills for academic applications
• Those have recently completed an academic program with strong grades may consider proceeding directly to registering online for the Pre-Entrance Exam. Exam fee is $125. If you have a current IEP and are requesting testing modifications testing modifications, call (631) 261-3721 x245.
• Receive a score of 50% or higher on the Pre-Entrance Exam.
• Submit a completed program application form with a non-refundable application fee of $60 payable by certified check or money order to Western Suffolk BOCES
• Submit an official transcript indicating high school diploma or equivalency
• Submit three references- 2 business, 1 personal
• Submit a satisfactory writing sample
• Sit for a personal interview with a member of the Western Suffolk BOCES Admissions Committee The School of Surgical Technology reserves the right to deny admission based upon failure to complete admission requirements. Enrollment is limited to 10 students per class.
Program details and policies are described in full in the Surgical Technology Handbook. Read carefully.