Federal Financial Aid

NEW: CARES ACT Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Information


Federal Financial Aid

Don’t let limited finances prevent you from learning the skills necessary for the job you want.

For more information about Federal Student Aid or FSA, call 631-261-3600 x214.

For more information about payments, payment plans or private loans, call 631-261-3600 x314.

School Code: 010147

How do I get started on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

The video FAFSA and FSA ID Tips for Parents is a great place to start! This six-minute video contains helpful information to navigate the FAFSA process from logging in to filling out and to signing the FAFSA application. This information is especially helpful for parents of applicants.

How do I create an ID for FAFSA?

The video How to Create an FSA ID gives detailed instructions on how you create your personal ID that you need to apply for Federal Student Aid.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to receive federal financial aid, you must:

  • Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be enrolled as a regular student in one of these eligible certificate programs at BOCES: Automotive Technical Training, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Cosmetology, Esthetics, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Practical Nursing, or Surgical Technology
  • Have a U.S. high school diploma or equivalent
  • Not be in default on previous student loans or owe a refund on previous grants
  • Be registered for Selective Service if male and 18 years or older
  • Make satisfactory academic progress as defined by BOCES
How to Request Financial Aid
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. Include the Western Suffolk BOCES federal school code 010147 on your FAFSA. You must apply for financial aid every year! Students who filed a FAFSA in the current academic year may use the Renewal Application. A Student Aid Report (SAR) will be sent via email or mail. Review it and make necessary corrections or provide the Financial Aid Office with documentation required.
Determining Financial Need
Generally, financial aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. When submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you are asking the government to look at your income, dependents and assets and calculate how much you and your family can be expected to contribute towards education. Financial need is the cost of education less the amount you can contribute.
What's the Net Price for You?
To calculate the estimated net price you will pay for any of the full-time programs at Western Suffolk BOCES, select the program below that interests you and then use the “Net Price Calculator.” The calculator uses both student-entered and BOCES-provided data to allow prospective students to calculate their estimated net price at BOCES based on the following basic formula: price of attendance minus grant aid.
Automotive Technical Training
Aviation Maintenance Technology
Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Medical Assisting–not available
Practical Nursing
Surgical Technology

Types of Financial Aid Available

Federal Pell Grants

Based on federal eligibility determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), this award money is used for tuition and does not have to be repaid.

Federal Direct Loans

Students may qualify for subsidized or unsubsidized loans based on financial need.

Federal Plus Loans

Available to eligible parents of dependent students. Repayment of principal and interest begins immediately.

Other Financial Options

Monthly Payment Plan

BOCES offers convenient monthly payment plans for licensing and full-time programs. Ask about this option when you register or call 631-261-3600 x314.

Workforce Investment Act

If you are unemployed, you may be eligible for a government training program. Call a BOCES representative at 631-667-6000, x327 for details.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I probably don’t qualify for aid. Should I apply anyway?
A: Yes! Many families mistakenly think they don’t qualify. Don’t make this mistake.

Q: Do I need to be admitted before applying for aid?
A: No. You can apply at any time. To receive funds, you must be enrolled.

Q: Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?
A: Yes. Depending on the status of your financial circumstances in comparison to the year before, you may receive more or less aid.

Q: Do you accept TAP?
A: No. New York State ‘s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is an award for degree programs. BOCES offers programs that lead to certificates or licenses.

Q: What is the Western Suffolk BOCES federal school code?
A: 010147

Q: How long does it take for me to get my Student Aid Report (SAR)?
A: If you apply online using your PIN for electronic signature, you will get a SAR in 6 to 10 days. If you apply online and mail the signature page in, you will get a SAR in 2 to 3 weeks. If you apply by mailing in the paper form, you will get a SAR in 3 to 4 weeks.